Tip: For optimum flavor, pick a melon that is heavy and fragrant with stem ends that yield slightly when pressed.
• 1 medium cantaloupe
• Olive Obsession balsamic vinegar (optional)*
• Olive Obsession olive oil*
• Sea salt black Cyprus or any flakey sea salt (also available at Olive Obsession)
• 2 Tbs chopped fresh mint, basil or tarragon
• Mild pepper, such as freshly ground sarawak green peppercorns or Aleppo-style pepper
• ¼ cup black olive slices (optional)
Carefully remove the rind from the cantaloupe in a very thin layer with a knife; remove and discard seeds. Cut in half and very thinly slice each piece crosswise on a mandolin or by hand (a vegetable peeler can be useful here) to make ribbons. Arrange cantaloupe on a platter and drizzle with oil. *Have fun with your olive oil/balsamic flavor combinations!
Some of us at Olive Obsession prefer to use a fruity and peppery single varietal olive oil with no balsamic, while others like basil olive oil with our mango, lemongrass mint or peach balsamic.
Top with tarragon, Aleppo-style pepper, and sea salt. Black Cyprus sea salt makes creates a beautiful presentation, but is any flake will do the job. If you choose to add the black olives be sure to reduce the amount of flake salt you add.