cherry tomatoes, cut in half
fresh basil, chopped
fresh mozzarella cheese, cut in slices or chunks
Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
1 c Traditional Dark Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 loaf Italian baguette, fresh, sliced - rounds
1. Cut tomatoes in half. Chop basil. Place in a bowl together. Put as much basil in as to your taste. Cut cheese into chunks or use round slices. Mix with tomato and basil. If doing round slices of mozzarella, set slices aside.
2. For the balsamic vinegar reduction: Add 1 cup of the Traditional Dark Balsamic Vinegar to a small sauce pan. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar. Heat to boiling.
3. Lower the heat and simmer 10-20 mins. Depending on how flat a pan you use. The vinegar should reduce down to about 1/4 cup and be slightly thicker still. Now, pour into a heat resistant bowl as the mixture is hot and put in the refrigerator until cooled and thickened. About 10 mins. Should be like a thick syrup.
4. While you are cooling the reduction, set the oven to broil. Put the sliced baguettes on a cookie sheet and drizzle the Tuscan Herb Olive Oil over the sliced baguettes. Not to saturate them, just to add flavor.
5. Stick in the oven and broil until they are crisp and brown.
6. Just pile the tomato, basil and cheese mixture on top of each slice. If using round mozzarella slices, put those on the bottom and pile the tomato and basil on top.
7. Now drizzle the cooled balsamic reduction on top. You don't need a lot as it packs a lot of flavor.